A fraction is a number which is expressed in the form of a/b where a – is the top number called numerator and b– is the bottom number called denominator.
Proper, Improper and Mixed Numbers
In order to find which fraction is greater than the other, put them over a common denominator, and then the greater fraction is the one with greater numerator.
A Fraction to its Lowest Terms
Simplify a fraction to its lowest terms
For the pair of fractions below, find which is greater
Identify equivalent fractions
- Are equal fractions written with different denominators
- They are obtained by two methods
(a) Multiplying the numerator and denominator by the same number
(a) Dividing the numerator and denominator by the same number (This method is used to simplify the fraction
NOTE: The fraction which cannot be simplified more is said to be in its lowest form
Simplify the following fractions to their lowest terms
Fractions in Order of Size
Arrange fractions in order of size
Arrange in order of size, starting with the smallest, the fraction
Put them over the same denominator, that is find the L.C.M of 3, 7, 8 and 9
Addition of Fractions
Operations on fractions involves addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Addition and subtraction of fractions is done by putting both fractions under the same denominator and then add or subtract
- Multiplication of fractions is done by multiplying the numerator of the first fraction with the numerator of the second fraction, and the denominator of the first fraction with the denominator the second fraction.
- For mixed fractions, convert them first into improper fractions and then multiply
- Division of fractions is done by taking the first fraction and then multiply with the reciprocal of the second fraction
- For mixed fractions, convert them first into improper fractions and then divide
Subtraction of Fractions
Multiplication of Fractions
Division of Fractions
Mixed Operations on Fractions
Perform mixed operations on fractions
Word Problems Involving Fractions
Solve word problems involving fractions
- Musa is years old. His father is 3¾times as old as he is. How old is his father?
- 1¾of a material are needed to make suit. How many suits can be made from