Meaning of history
History is the study of man and his activities in different times.
These activities enable man to obtain his basic needs. Man’s basic needs are food, clothes, and shelter.
History is the record of human activities, which enable man to survival and attain essential needs from the environment.
IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING HISTORY
- It helps to understand how African societies were formed, how they developed and the factors that influenced this development.
- It helps us to understand and appreciate the efforts made and strategies used by African people to regain their independence
- It helps to understand conflict resolution and effective participation in social, economic and political development of Africa.
- It helps us to develop an understanding of the relationships between African’s development problems and foreign intrusion
- It develop our patriotism, as students know their heroes and traitors.
- It enlightens people about the advantages of certain economic practices.
- It helps to understand the level of development at different stages of human development
- It helps us to learn about technological transformations, for example from stone ages to Iron Age.
- It helps to understand the relationship that existed between humans and the environment.
- It helps to understand the past, present to plan the future.
SOURCES OF HISTORY
Sources of history refers to the ways that can be used to get historical information.
Sources of history/historical knowledge sources:
- Oral tradition
- Historical sites
- Written records/documents
- Audio- visual record, e.g. Cassettes, Cd’s, and TV programs etc.
Oral tradition refers to the passing information by word of mouth through talking and listening.
Oral tradition passes historical information into two ways:
- culture practices
- Narration of past events.
FUNCTION OF ORAL TRADITION
- It preserves historical information of society
- I t collects and pass historical information between generations in the society.
- It helps researchers in data collection.
ADVANTAGES OF ORAL TRADITION
- It preserve and reveal historical information which are not recorded
- Both illiterate and literate people can obtain historical information.
- Within oral tradition, there are warning and teachings.
- Is the easiest and cheapest method of obtaining information?
- It is live source, since it involves physical interaction.
DISADVANTAGES OF ORAL TRADITION
- It needs much attention and power of memory
- False information can be given by storyteller.
- Narration of historical events are centered to those people of status i.e. Kings, Queens, Chief. White talking little about common society.
- There is a language problem when narrator uses vernacular language.
- It is difficult to distinguish what is real and what is imaginary information.
- Translation is very difficult because some languages are no longer in existence.
Historical sites are special places where by the past human remains can be found and shown to the public. They comprise man’s physical development, tools that were made and used from time to time.
Examples of historical sites:
In Tanzania: Isimila, Olduvai George, Kondoa Irangi, Bagamoyo, Zanzibar, Kilwa, Mafia, Engaruka, Kagera etc
In Uganda: Nsongezi, Biggo, Ntubi, Rusinga Island, Magosi and Ishago.
In Kenya: Lake Rudolf (Turkana), Lake Naivasha, Njoro, Olongesailie, Lake Magadi, Lamu, Mombasa and mt. Kenya
FUNCTIONS OF HISTORICAL SITES
- Preserves historical information for the coming generations.
- They are useful sources of information and to reconstruct history.
- They are the symbols of social cultural heritage to the society concern past human tools, rock, paints etc.
ADVANTAGES OF HISTORICAL SITES
- They help for practical historical learning e.g. through observation of tools, rock, paints.
- Used to reveal past settlement patterns, levels of technology, economic development and political organization reached by the past societies.
- Acts as centers of tourism.
- They helps in transforming theoretical teaching of history to practical historical learning.
- It acts as the resource centers to researchers.
- It provides employment opportunities e.g. guiders
DISADVANTAGES OF HISTORICAL SITES
- It brings confusion to interpret the remains found in historical sites
- Difficult for many people to visit them because many of historical sites are found on remote areas hence.
A MAP SHOWING HISTORICAL SITES IN EAST AFRICA
Archaeology refers to the scientific study of past human remain. It is the study of material remains of man’s past through scientific methods.
The one specializes in archeology is called ARCHAEOLOGIST.
Archaeology involves excavations (digging) of the remains of man’s past. The famous archaeologist in East Africa was Dr. Louis Leaky with his wife Mary Leakey. Archaeology involves the use of carbon 14 dating to determine plants and animal remains.
FUNCTIONS OF ARCHAEOLOGY
- Gives important information about man through different stages.
- It is a useful method of revealing soil covered historical remains.
- It arouse curiosity of searching past man historical information.
ADVANTAGES OF ARCHAEOLOGY
- It helps people to know when and how people lived in a certain place.
- Past objects tell us about the life and culture of past people.
- It helps us to know and reveal the technology, pastoral, agricultural and commercial activities of the past man.
- Through excavation, we get knowledge of artifacts e.g. Pottery, building etc.
- It reveals religious beliefs of the past man
- We can complement other sources of information through archaeology e.g. History
- We can know the past relationship between different people such as trading activities, migration, marriage, birth, death and political relation.
DISADVANTAGES OF ARCHAEOLOGY
- It consumes time because of excavation.
- It cannot reveal the past people’s language.
- It cannot give out the reasons for historical events such as wars.
- It needs full experts and advanced technology.
- Poorly interpreted remains can bring false information
- It cannot tell anything about the past social organization
Archives are places where collection of public and private documents and old record are preserved. These documents includes personal letters, early travelers, missionary records, traders writings, personal and government files, political parties documents, etc.
FUNCTIONS OF ARCHIVES
- Archives preserve public and private records that have enduring value to the society.
- The public makes the records in archives available for use. However not all records can be viewed by everyone.
- Archives collect records of enduring value from various places. For example, the nation archives have records from different regions of the country.
- The archives staff maintains registers of the record in the archives.
- Archives have facilities for restoring damaged documents of enduring value.
- Archives have facilities for restoring damaged documents of enduring value.
- The historical information in the archives ensures continuity.
ADVANTAGES OF ARCHIVES
- Easy to identify ideas and literacy level of the past man.
- It is easy to identify the exact date of historical event.
- It used to store historical information.
- Easy to get historical information from different places and different people.
DISADVANTAGES OF ARCHIVES
- It may lead false information, if author is biased.
- Illiterate people cannot get historical information.
- It is not easy to get information of society whose information is not documented.
- It is difficult to get remote information from archives.
- It is nonrenewable once disrupted either by wind.
Museums are places or buildings where information and objects are preserved. It involves all terms which shows culture, political economic and technological development from the past to the present.
Objects can be early coins, clothes, and mineral cowries, religious and ceremonial symbols.
Museum can be national, Regional, District and village. Example: National Museums in Dar es Salaam, Bagamoyo, Butiama, Kalenga-Iringa.
FUNCTIONS OF MUSEUMS
- Preserve historical documents and objects.
- Shows concrete remains of objects.
- It is the place for tourist and study tour.
- It is the center for cultural and national identity.
ADVANTAGES OF MUSEUMS
- It preserves objects, which are used as the teaching aids.
- Museum preserves culture and national identity.
- It used by researcher (source of information)
- It acts as tourist center.
- People learn about technological development.
- Enable learners to arouse creativity.
DISADVANTAGES OF MUSEUMS.
- It needs knowledgeable people.
- It is possible to distort information through biases by the museum attendant.
- Poor preservation of the past items e.g. coins, pieces of cloth, slaves chain can distort information.
- It needs extensive care to maintain its beauty or origin.
Written records are the documents which comprise written historical information. This includes books, letters, maps, magazines, journal, newspaper, minutes of meetings and conferences.
Written records can be found in libraries, schools, colleges, universities, internet cafes and offices.
FUNCTIONS OF WRITTEN RECORDS
- Written records provide pictures of society.
- These records reflect public opinion at the time of writing.
- Written records serve as stores of a large variety of information
- In-depth reports of daily events are kept as written records
ADVANTAGES OF WRITTEN RECORDS.
- It is easy to get information.
- Easy to make references
- It is helpful in doing researches.
- They can be kept for long time.
DISADVANTAGES OF WITTEN RECORDS
- It can give false information if they are biased by the author
- It is difficult to read everything from written records
- They are subject to be badly written.
- Illiterate people cannot get information.
Linguistics is the scientific study and analysis of language. It includes study of sound, structure, information and relationship between various language groups.
ADVANTAGES OF LINGUISTICS
- It helps to get information from various sources.
- Enables to discover links between different people.
- It helps to determine dates of historical event e.g. “Aluta continua” (Period of struggle for independence in Mozambique)
LIMITATIONS/DISADVANTAGES OF LINGUISTICS
- It consumes time and finance learning a particular language
- Through translation, one can commit some important work.
- The present language may be corrupted.
Anthropology is the study of the society’s cultural systems such as beliefs and ideas. The study can give important information about movements, settlements and production activities of the past.
DATING HISTORICAL EVENTS
Historians usually divide time into several categories, namely
Day is a duration of twenty four hours (24hrs)
Week is a duration of seven days (7days)
Month is the duration of four weeks (4 weeks)
Year is a duration of twelve months (12 moths)
Decade is a duration of ten years (10 years)
Century is the duration of one hundred years (100 years)
Millennium is the duration of thousand years (1000 years)
Generation is the average differences on ages between a child and his/her parent.
Age is the period based on ma’s economic activities and type of tools used e.g. stone age, iron age, industrial age, science and technology age, etc.
Period is determined by one continuous event lasting for number of years E.g. Period of slave trade in East Africa, Period of long distance trade, and Period of colonial rule in Africa
Some points has chosen in order to divide time:
- Year ZERO to present the year when Jesus Christ was born. It is known as Anno Domino (A.D) meaning the year of the Lord
- All years before zero are called C meaning Before Christ (The years before the birth of Jesus Christ)
HOW TO DETERMINE DATES OF AN EVENT
Dates are instrument in a science of history; these historians divided dates into four ways/there are four ways of remembering dates of an event. These are:
Here important events are recalled/remembered e.g. drought, farming, floods, birth, eruption of diseases etc.
By studying languages
Some names helps people to remember dates of some events. E.g., Word “Karafuu” started when Cloves were introduced in Zanzibar.
Carbon 14 is a scientific method of determining dates. It used in the finding dates for remains of animals or plants, which died beyond 5000 years ago.
Carbon 14 is a gas found in carbon dioxide, which exists in the atmosphere. It absorbed by plant and other living organisms. When died carbon 14 starts to decay at a fixed rate from the time of death.
Orders of events
Order of events refers to the ways showing order of events, period and ages, among of them are:
- Time graph
- Time chart
- Time line
- Family tree
|1||1884-1885||The Britain Conference|
|2||1914-1918||The first World war period|
|3||1939-1945||The second world war period|
|4||1961||Tanganyika become independent|
|5||1962||Tanganyika became Republic|
|6||1992||Introduction of multiparty system in Tanzania.|
TOPIC 2 : EVOLUTION OF MAN, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT | HISTORY FORM 1
fantastic issues altogether, you just gained a new reader.
What could you suggest in regards to your post that you made a few days in the past?
Hello, I think your site might be having browser
compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Firefox, it looks fine but
when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other
then that, amazing blog!
I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people
could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one
or two pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
This is a really good tip particularly to those new to the
blogosphere. Simple but very accurate info… Many thanks for sharing
this one. A must read post!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about cheap flights.
Hello Dear, are you genuinely visiting this site regularly, if so then you will definitely
get pleasant know-how.
Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this information.
Good way of telling, and pleasant paragraph to take
information on the topic of my presentation focus, which i am going to convey in institution of higher education.
Simply want to say your article is as astonishing.
The clarity in your post is just cool and i could assume you’re
an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let
me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.
I’d like to find out more? I’d love to find out more details.
Hola! I’ve been reading your weblog for some time now and finally got the bravery
to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Tx! Just
wanted to tell you keep up the good job!
Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just
sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your
blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the
whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for
rookie blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.
For most up-to-date news you have to visit world wide web and on web I found
this site as a finest site for hottest updates.
I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by
him as nobody else know such detailed about my problem.
You are wonderful! Thanks!
Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with
the pictures on this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its
a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Hello i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this post i thought i could also create comment due
to this good piece of writing.
Hi there, yup this paragraph is actually fastidious and I have learned lot
of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.
The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see
if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she
has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to
share it with someone!
Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get
a lot of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it, any
plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately
it’s driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.
Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through
some of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m definitely
pleased I found it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!
Right here is the perfect site for anyone who
really wants to find out about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost hard
to argue with you (not that I personally would want
to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a topic that’s been discussed
for decades. Great stuff, just great!
I was extremely pleased to find this great site.
I wanted to thank you for your time just for this
fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new things on your web site.
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this article and also the
rest of the website is also very good.
Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your blog.
Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely
digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be
benefited from this web site.
Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and
sources back to your website? My blog site is in the very
same area of interest as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Cheers!
hello!,I love your writing very much! proportion we be in contact more about your post
on AOL? I need an expert on this house to solve my problem.
May be that is you! Having a look forward to look you.
Hey there! I know this is sort of off-topic however I needed to
ask. Does managing a well-established website like yours take a massive amount work?
I am completely new to operating a blog however I do write
in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and views online.
Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new aspiring
Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to give
it a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Wonderful blog and excellent design and style.
I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter
stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience
over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot
often inside case you shield this increase.
Hi there Dear, are you really visiting this website daily,
if so then you will without doubt take fastidious knowledge.
This paragraph will help the internet people for building up new weblog or even a weblog from
start to end.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about cheap flights.
Hurrah! After all I got a web site from where I be capable of in fact get valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.
Hello would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re using?
I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say
this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Can you recommend a good
internet hosting provider at a honest price? Thank you, I
Very energetic article, I loved that a lot. Will there be a
I know this web page provides quality dependent articles and additional stuff, is there any other website which gives these things
Hello to every , since I am genuinely keen of reading this blog’s
post to be updated on a regular basis. It includes nice data.
I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that’s both educative and engaging,
and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something too few people are speaking intelligently about.
I am very happy that I found this during my search for something regarding this.
I think the admin of this web site is in fact working hard for his site, as
here every information is quality based information.
Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world all
is available on web?
I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, however I assumed
this post used to be good. I don’t understand who you might
be however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in case
you are not already. Cheers!
Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article. I like to write
a little comment to support you.
Quality articles is the secret to interest the
visitors to visit the website, that’s what this website is providing.
Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and everything. Nevertheless
imagine if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”!
Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this blog
could certainly be one of the best in its niche.
Why viewers still make use of to read news papers when in this technological
globe everything is presented on net?
You need to take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web.
I am going to recommend this web site!
Greetings! Quick question that’s completely off topic.
Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
My blog looks weird when browsing from my apple
iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix this issue.
If you have any recommendations, please share.
What’s up everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this site, and piece of
writing is really fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting
These are actually great ideas in regarding blogging.
You have touched some fastidious points here. Any way keep up wrinting.
I simply could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I really loved
the usual info an individual supply in your guests? Is gonna be back incessantly to inspect new
I am curious to find out what blog platform you have been using?
I’m experiencing some minor security issues with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more secure.
Do you have any suggestions?
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a
very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark
it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks
for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
I was curious if you ever considered changing the layout of your
site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content
so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?
Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was once a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?
Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually know what you are speaking approximately!
Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my site =).
We could have a hyperlink change arrangement between us
Someone necessarily help to make seriously posts I might state.
That is the very first time I frequented your
web page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put
up amazing. Wonderful task!
whoah this weblog is fantastic i love reading your articles.
Stay up the good work! You recognize, lots of persons are hunting around for this information, you can help them greatly.
Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website.
It’s simple, yet effective. A great deal of times it’s tough to acquire that “perfect balance” between user
friendliness and appearance. I have to admit you’ve done a great
job using this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely fast to me on Safari.
Also visit my blog post SanaRBains
Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this site daily,
if so then you will definitely take good know-how. asmr 0mniartist
Does your site have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to send you an email.
I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.
I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with?
I’m having some minor security problems with my latest site and I’d like to find something more risk-free.
Do you have any recommendations? 0mniartist asmr
Hi there to every one, the contents existing at this web site are
truly amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about 0mniartist.
Regards 0mniartist asmr